Tuesday, September 06, 2011

Here I Raise Mine Ebenezer



I have always loved the hymn "Come Thou Fount." One of the lines from it states "Here I raise my Ebenezer hither by thine help I'm come." This line I always sang but never really thought about before. In 1 Samuel chapter 7 Samuel sets up a stone which he calls an Ebenezer as a reminder of how God helped them defeat the Philistines. Recently, I was at church on a Sunday morning and we were encouraged to ask God what Ebenezer we needed to build to remind us of God's faithfulness. Instantly I knew what I needed to do. I have been thinking about quilting lately and how I miss it and how is was a way I really enjoyed spending time with God. On that Sunday morning I knew my Ebenezer was to be a quilt. I went home and looked at fabric online for hours and dreamt of what I would create. God has really good timing because shortly after I put my order in I had a few really sad days full of heartache and tears. My heart is doing a little better thanks to the help of some amazing friends and now with the arrival of my fabric I can begin to construct my Ebenezer which will always remind me of how God has always been my "stone of help".
This photo depicts my quilt in its very early stages and shows a few of the squares I have made. I am excited for what it is to become and for my heart to do a little healing in the process.

1 comment:

Miranda said...

Absolutely beautiful fabric. I love that song too.