Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Play nice

I have a job that I love. Sometimes it drives me crazy but for the most part I am happy to be there and think I am good at what I do. Today was one of those days when I shake my head and say to myself "I can't believe this is what I do." I have two clients right now who are having trouble cohabiting. One is very paranoid and is convinced the other is stealing from him. The accused has a quick temper and is threatening to punch the accuser out. My day mainly consisted of listening to them fight, separating them, listening to each of them complain about the other, restating rules and establishing boundaries, negotiating compromise, consoling as many tears were shed, counselling sessions when one of them claimed he was triggered to start "using" again...sigh. I know all you parents out there are probably use to these shenanigans but I tell you it is hard work being the mediator - why can't they just play nice? So I am hoping when I arrive at work tomorrow morning they will both still be in one piece and I will not have to deal with any more drama. Honestly, I never thought this was were I would end up - would I change it? No.

No comments: