Monday, January 18, 2010

Needle in the Hay


This post is not about one album but instead one song. It's author is Elliot Smith who's music is generally brooding and melancholy so would fall into my list very nicely but I don't know Elliot Smith enough to be able to include one of his albums in my list. But this one song I love and it kills me every time I hear it. It does have a lot to do with the fact that it accompanies the saddest scene I have every witnessed in a movie. It is in The Royal Tenenbaums just after Luke Wilson's character finds out the truth about Margot's past. He is in the bathroom and cuts his hair and shaves his face looks in the mirror and says "I am going to kill myself tomorrow." It breaks my heart but I LOVE that movie. I have seen it several times and that scene always gets me and it is largely because of the song "Needle in the Hay."
So there you are not an album but an artist who knows how to write a good tear-jerking ballad.

No comments: