Thursday, January 21, 2010

"To be alone with me you went up on the tree"


I changed my mind a few times on this post. I had a few albums that I was choosing between and wasn't sure what was going to make the cut. I actually had selected a different album and started writing about it but I needed to include Sufjan Stevens on my list. Even thought his music doesn't exactly fit in with my list so much of his music does move me in the same way as the rest of the music included on this list. I adore his voice and his lyrics and how he builds his songs with such grace and ease.
The album I am selecting is "Seven Swans" because it was my first introduction to Sufjan. As you may have noticed on many occasions the first album I hear of an artist is often my favorite. If it is someone I really enjoy it becomes imprinted on me and is always a tough act to follow. I am very loyal.
I remember listening to "To Be Alone With You" and realizing that I could worship God even when the music wasn't overtly Christian. I grew up learning that there was a clear line between Christian and non-Christian music and I always felt guilty for my deep love of secular music. I listened to that song and God spoke to me and I felt love and now every time I hear it I hear God singing it to me. It is quite possible that Miranda you are the only one reading these and you are already familiar with Sufjan but the word has to get out there - he is amazing.

1 comment:

Miranda said...

BEST album! I LOVE To Be Alone with You sooo sooo much. Sufjan rocks!