Sunday, January 17, 2010

"You told me to be patient you told me to be kind"


So Miranda inspired me to share more music that I love. I have decided to write about one album a day for the next week. Now most of you who know me and bother to read my blog know the music I like and have probably heard all of this already but oh well. For this week I decided to choose a theme and these are all albums that fall under what I like to call the "lovely and sad" category. They each have a melancholy tone but I adore them. The second album on my list is by Bon Iver and is entitled "For Emma, Forever Ago". I still remember driving in my friend's car and she had it playing. There were a few of us in the vehicle and we were chatting during the trip but this album caught my ear as we drifted in and out of conversation. I found the disc at the Edmonton Public Library and instantly I knew the album would be one I would enjoy and by the third track I was in love. It has quickly become one of the albums that I often play over and over. When I am trying to decide what to listen on my iPod on more than one occasion I don't scroll past the B's.
This album was written like Hospice during a period of isolation. Justin Vernon went away to a cabin in the woods during winter to write and record the songs. As I listen I often imagine the cabin and wrap a blanket around me and sit back and enjoy.
So give it a spin if you haven't already. The EP Blood Bank is also good.

3 comments:

Miranda said...

Yes I know, I do inspire so many people...heehee. I love, love, love music too. I almost always go for the lyrics first though. Cannot wait for all these music posts. Yippee!

Heidi said...

I go for voice, mood and music more than lyrics.

Miranda said...

There is a definite sound to the music you like. So far I really like both the albums you have recommended. Bon Iver especially. I just started listening to The Welcome Wagon, same record label as Sufjan and like them.
I love daily blog posts...this is great.